Monograms are a favorite pleasure of mine, adding such personal details to this lovely world in which we are privileged to be a part.
What a wonderful bit of serendipity that my appearances and book signings in Dallas (November 7-11, 2015) followed by a few weeks the publication of a luscious book on just this topic, Monograms for the Home: The Art of Making Your Mark, by Kimberly Schlegel Whitman. And, coincidentally, both of our books “premiered” at the gorgeous Madison in Highland Park Village.
How could I not ask Dallas tastemaker and the book’s author, Kimberly Whitman, to make a guest appearance on Private Newport, sharing her chic and sensibilities on the topic of entertaining with monograms. As she notes so correctly, “Monograms are a beautiful way to embrace your personal style and add your signature touch in everyday life.”
What I enjoyed particularly is that each chapter provides the reader with endless options for every room in their house, while Kim adds her signature modern day etiquette notes.
Kim, affectionately referred to as the Diva of Dallas entertaining, is high energy and multi-faceted, with wide-ranging skills. The Editor-at-Large at Southern Living magazine she is also a TV talk show host, author of 7 books (whew!), radio personality, lifestyle expert and party planner. Oh, and mother of two!
It’s such a pleasure, Kimberly, to welcome you to Private Newport, a town and heritage that for centuries has included such refined finishing touches as monograms.
“My sheets are monogrammed, so is my silverware and pretty much everything else I own. My rule is if it’s not moving—monogram it.” Reese Witherspoon
As a monogram fanatic, much like Reese Witherspoon, I love adding a signature touch to the elements of my home, a table setting or when I give a gift. When I add a personalized touch, such as a monogram, to any item, whatever the quality or craftsmanship, I feel like it is instantly transformed into something more special! In this day and age, a monogram is a way to make a statement about your personal brand. What you decide to monogram, how the letters come together, even the color and the lettering has the ability to reveal a big piece of your individual sensibilities and style.
When it comes to monograms in the home, I’ve come to realize people are using a lot of ease around their entertainment space. However, monogrammed items in your home are an easy way to bring even more personality to an already personal environment. Especially for those of you who love to entertain like I do, monograms always bring a surprising element of décor to your home.
Below, please find some easy tips to assist your monogramming for the home needs:
- A good place to start is always the guest powder room. Add a personal touch with a monogram hand towel or a hand held mirror so your guests can check the back of their hair. If you’re feeling a little more adventurous, a hostess I really admire always has a little emergency box in her powder room. Complete with a small sewing kit, nail file and stain wipes, these little boxes add a thoughtful touch to any guest powder room and are so easy to attach a small monogram to. After seeing hers, I even started placing these in powder rooms in my own home!
- Over the years I’ve come to collect a variety of cocktail napkins. However, my favorite cocktail napkins that I always bring out when I have guests are my personalized ones with my monogram. This is a great way to set the tone for the event from the moment your guests arrive and have their first sip.
- Consider a monogram also as a fresh way to add a pop of color to your tablescape. Whether it is on a plate, a place card or a napkin, a monogram in a fresh and unexpected color can add a splash to any table. It might even become the pièce de résistance of the evening!
- Don’t store away your grandmother’s monogrammed heirlooms just because they have different letters in the monogram. Use them often and celebrate the unique monograms for the stories they carry forward and the beautiful decoration they add to the pieces. These are great items to pass down through the family and add a very sincere touch to any event!
- I absolutely adore Emily McCarthy’s colorful ink, paper selections, and unique monogram styles for personalized gift tags. These are perfect for any party favor or holiday girls! It makes such a pretty addition to a present.
Thank you, Kimberly, for sharing your marvelous Dallas graciousness. See you again soon!